Why I am Doing What I'm Doing

One of the first things I had to do was create a platform. A platform is basically what you stand for, something you firmly believe in. It didn't take long for me to come up with the platform of "Optimism Through Disabilities." The following are the stories of three individuals in my life who have overcome incredible odds through optimism and faith in Christ. They are the reasons I am participating in Mrs. Utah --- I want to share their stories and honor the legacy they live each and every day.

My Father has overcome three life-changing accidents and has done it with a smile on his face. In 1983, a young mother ran a stop sign and side swiped my father's truck. This accident left him paralyzed from the waist down and the doctors told him he would never walk again. He openly defied this prognosis and through excruciating physical therapy was able to walk short distances with crutches. He had just overcome this hurdle when, in 1985, a man driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol hit his truck and forced him over a freeway overpass. This accident almost claimed his life. My mother was told he wouldn't live through the night. But my father, once again, defied his prognosis and not only lived but once again learned to walk short distances with crutches. Growing up I never heard him complain. I would go to him with petty problems and he always took me in his arms and showed me nothing but love and concern. Looking back I realize how insignificant my problems were compared to my father's disabilities yet his attitude was a hundred fold better than mine. You would think this end of his story, but not so. In 2004, two weeks before my wedding, my dad fell in the kitchen and broke both his femurs. We almost lost him again but my mother's knowledge of his medical conditions was able to offer the doctor's advice and save his life. The first thing he said when my fiance and I entered the room was "You're still getting married in two weeks right? I can't be there but you two are the most important people that need to be there. My blessing goes with you and I will be there in heart." He did miss my wedding and it breaks my heart still to think of it but I knew he wouldn't have it any other way.

When I met my husband, his love of life was infectious and his attitude was amazing. I had never met such an enthusiastic and genuine individual. As we courted, I soon found that his attitude and love of life had come through overcoming incredible odds. In 1982, he was born with two club feet. His condition was so severe, the doctors told his parents he would probably never walk. After seventeen surgeries and at age sixteen my husband had become and eagle scout and championship wrestler. A local news station once did a story to honor him and his comment was this, "Look at Jesus Christ and all He went through. If He did it, why can't I?" In this same news report, his coach shared how touching it was to be around David. When they asked why it was so touching he responded "Because it comes from another source. You would never guess because he is just so positive." He continues to be a shining light for me. He is currently working two jobs and trying to finish our home for a final inspection and he does it without complaint. I once caught him crawling around on the floor and when I asked what he was doing he responded "nothing." I pushed a little further to discover that he had spent too much time on his feet that day and they were hurting so bad he couldn't bear to walk on them. I burst into tears and thanked him for his selfless service and example he sets for me.

The third person is my daughter. More than anything, her story is an example of a miracle and the blessings of a loving Heavenly Father. During my twenty week ultrasound, we were informed that she had a clubbed foot. I was told to get her into a doctor as soon as she was born so they could cast her and give her every chance of leading a normal life. She was six days when she was put into her first cast. The doctor said he hadn't seen a club that severe in years and said she might not walk and if she did, she would probably have a limp. I was devastated and went home in tears. Both my husband and father reminded me of their examples and said to press on with faith in Christ. We were referred up to Shriner's in Salt Lake City, Utah. Through their expertise and Heavenly Father's tender mercies, our daughter is doing just fine. She only had to be in casts until she was three months old and only required one surgery. She now wears special shoes to keep the foot turned out but if her recovery stays the same, she will be allowed to be shoe-free by age three.

Once again - why am I doing Mrs. Utah? I want to honor these three wonderful people, as well as the countless others, who have been a shining example for me of optimism and Faith in Christ.


2 comments:

Bentley Bunch said...

RACHELLE, I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE DOING THE MRS. UTAH UNITED STATES PAGEANT! YOU ARE A SHINNING EXAMPLE TO ALL OF US, FROM RUTH BENTLEY, PAGEANT DIRECTOR

tlcprn said...

These are amazing stories, I had to reach for the tissues. I have really enjoyed getting to know you over the last couple of months of pageant prep time. You have an infectious optimistic personality--thank you!